Thursday, March 20, 2008

International Signings Week 3

Helena signed 3B\RF Fernando Manzanillo for 9.5 mil. Yes, the big news in the 3rd week of the season is the signing of Manzanillo, by, uh, well, me. Kind of hard to be objective here, but I believe he projects quality late 1st round pick level talent, and by definition, you can't do better than that. Helena has blown the entire prospect budget on the signing, and by drafting very conservative, can just sign the amateur draft. That's why they invented calulators people, so you can run budgets to within 100k of their maximum "tolerance".

Charlotte signed 2 people, C Rolando Flores at 556k, and reliever James Yamakazi at 2.0 Mil.
I think these are quality signings, especially the C, with some serious catcher skills, will be a serious MILB asset to any team he is on. Just make sure that when the pitchers he handles progress, you don't hand them over to some big bat\can't catch a game catcher without carefully thinking through the consequences.

Buffalo signed RP Omar Beltre for 2.3 million. Which just looking at the guy seems an unbelievable bargain for an RP projecting that talent.

New York Leathernecks signed OF Delino Sanchez for 3.6 Mil. This looks to be another good bargain in the INT signing season, as Sanchez projects to at least, what, okish ML OF?

Durham signed RP Jesus Valdez for 1.5 mil. Financially sound signing, but what to make of a guy with such a mix of really good and really bad ratings? "we'd better teach this guy some control before he kills somebody".

Since I'm a day late on posting (I have relatives visiting), I can't look at a "last week" search and be sure I've gotten everybody. So I apologise for anybody I missed. And I have the perceptable felling I've missed people.

No comments: